Skip to main content

My Whistle-Pig

(My font, spacing, format, and thoughts are sporadic because I typed the previous blog on my phone and this blog on someone else's computer. I'm a perfectionist, which isn't always obvious in these haphazard blogs, but I despise when things lack consistency. Anyway, forgive me for what I write this week--I will be roaming around Northeast Arkansas.)

Remember the badger? The one that roams around my front yard every day and likes to hide under the car. Yeah, it's not a badger after all, according to sources who know more about wild animals than I do. Can't give gambling advice. Can't identify wild animals. Before you know it, someone will say I can't write. Psh.

Apparently it's a groundhog. What does this mean? Is this important? I never understood that entire thing about the groundhog and winter and weather. Is there something I should specifically watch my groundhog for? Does he hide under the car because he thinks it's his shadow? I just don't know--I'm not nearly as interested in a groundhog as I am a badger. Although, reading the almighty Wikipedia, groundhogs are woodchucks. Wait, what?! Groundhogs chuck wood? I'm so confused. Since I can't call it a badger and I don't like groundhog and woodchuck doesn't seem to fit, I'll go with the third option: whistle-pig.

Yup, a whistle-pig. Woo, whistle-pig sooie.

Oh, which reminds me: the other day one of my cousins suggested that I kill the badger-groundhog-woodchuck-whistle-pig. I considered my plethora of weapons: I could bludgeon it with the World's Largest Bolt Cutters, but this would require that I get within arm's length of the rodent. I decided to pass. Next, I considered shooting it; however, I don't think shooting a gun in a residential area in downtown Little Rock would be advisable. Not to mention that I'd miss anyway. This was never really an option because I try to avoiding bringing harm to most living organisms.

The whistle-pig in my front yard makes me think of Oy from The Dark Tower Series. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I suggest you read the series when you get the chance. Oy is a billy-bumbler, which the author describes as "a combination of a badger, raccoon, and dog." My very own billy-bumbler, whistle-pig. This is getting out of hand.

Now when I think of the whistle-pig, this is how I imagine myself:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Progress Report for January

Sometimes I sit around writing my own obituary in my head. It’s not that I plan on dying, or that I’m that old, but I just wonder what my legacy would be. If my family had to sum up my life to this point, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be a lot to say. Let’s highlight my first twenty-six years. I hit a game-winning shot against Nettleton—truly the type of shot you dream about as a kid shooting hoops in the driveway—to help Paragould High School make it to the state tournament in 2004 (this is the highlight of my short and mostly uneventful athletic career); I won the Citizenship Award my senior year, which my mother says is way more important than any academic or athletic award; I wrote for the Paragould Daily Press for four years, and I still have people say they miss my column (but you guys can quit lying to me already); I married a girl who is way more intelligent and athletic than I ever dreamed of being; I graduated from college, twice; and I have an adorable puppy that takes up all

The Paragould Daily Press: Is Paid Content the Beginning of the End?

Every few days I read the Paragould Daily Press , my hometown newspaper—a newspaper I worked at as a sports writer for four years—online. I’m never looking for anything in particular. It’s just part of my routine: every morning I skim national, state, and local news for a few minutes. However, when I visited the PDP today, a few things were different. First, the website had been redesigned (and not in a good way—it takes talent to clutter what little content the PDP creates). More importantly, you now have to buy a subscription to read the paper online. This isn’t about having to pay for content (I’m sure the PDP has heard plenty of negative feedback from its online readers already); I understand what the PDP is attempting to accomplish with this move. The move to paid content was inevitable (I remember sitting in a staff meeting and discussing this very matter over five years ago when I was writing for the newspaper), as it will be and has been for much larger publications. Ne

Joe the Plumber

( Caption: So Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber", can't win an election for you. But I bet he can plunge your toliet, right?) A lot of responsibility comes with marriage, such as taking care of your wife when she’s sick like mine is right now. However, to me that’s an easy one. I can make chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, and Jell-O. The challenging part of being married, for me, is the Tim-Allen home improvement gig. Growing up, my dad took care of all those things: changing the oil in the vehicles, patching holes in the wall, replacing chipped tiles, repairing damaged furniture, and unclogging toilets and sinks. To this day there isn’t a problem that my dad can’t solve. It’s his calling. A fixing-up vision I didn’t inherit. Last week, the toilet in our apartment started acting up, such as not flushing with full velocity and taking a minute to drain and refill. Eventually, it stopped working at all. Oh, if there isn’t anything more inhumane t