Skip to main content

Guess Who's Back?

Not to get sentimental, but I was recently reminded of the joys of writing a blog. So, I logged into Dribbling Ink to see my past failed attempt at a blog. A number of things immediately struck me. My last post was dated Monday, December 1, 2008, which was just a short video of the immediate celebration after the Miracle on Markham II. Seriously? I went an entire year without writing a single blog entry. Naturally, I asked myself what happened.

The answer is simple. Life happened. I started blogging because I didn’t have anything better to do. I had just gotten married and moved to Arkadelphia, where I failed to find a job for a few months. Tell me a better way to waste your time than to write blogs that nobody reads? After Christmas I started graduate school at
Henderson State University. During the fall, I began working as a graduate assistant in the HSU Writing Center. (I also spent a few torturous months as a substitute teacher.) Essentially, I didn’t have a reason to write a blog anymore. I had life to do.

Except that’s not how it works.

I’ve had plenty of time and thoughts since my last post; I just needed to be reminded that I love to write. A co-worker of mine in the writing center always jokes that I should write my thesis about sports because it is the only thing I know and care enough about to crank out 100 pages worth of information concerning, which is a fair enough assessment. I spent all four years as an undergraduate covering local sports in
Greene County for the Paragould Daily Press.

However, I’d like to think that I can talk about more than just sports. Therefore, though Dribbling Ink was created nearly six years ago as a sports column in the Paragould Daily Press, it’s time to expand. To what? I don’t know. But I do know the three things that dominate my life: sports, literature, and
Arkansas. The first two are pretty obvious, but the last one may be the most important. Arkansas encompasses a lot more than just its physical boundaries. It’s about family, growing up, identity, and the future.

I like to think of myself as a realist, though most people that know me don’t hesitate to call me a pessimist. Sure, I’ll probably forget about Dribbling Ink again—I certainly don’t expect to be writing it a decade from now—but there’s a joy that comes with writing a blog. With writing, in general. Life will assuredly happen again, and Dribbling Ink will probably disappear from my thoughts completely the next time; however, there’s still plenty of time in-between school, work, and home to contribute a few more blogs to the annals of writing that nobody will ever read.

Maybe I will see (or blog about) you along the way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Hi,

I'm just browsing sites for the kids of Haiti.

I'm doing this for a non-profit haiti organization that is devoted to giving time to
building an oppurunity for the children in haiti. If anybody wants to give money then do so here:

[url=http://universallearningcentre.org]Donate to Haiti[/url] or Help Haiti

They provide children in Haiti a positive outlook through education.

Please check it out, they're legitimate.

Any help would be great
Anonymous said…
Howdy,
We are representing Hair Loss news. We manage a lot of internet sites, and we found your internet site trought the net. We are asking if you need to exchange links with us. Actualy we are looking for links to our web sites, if you're interested please visit our site, on the right menu you'll find the catalog link, there you can submit your website and exchange links with us...
Our webpages are excellent ranked, and they're going to be better in the following days...
Thank you, and I'm sorry if i put the data in a wrong place, that because I could not find the contact link..
Best regards
Keepingmyhair Staff.
[url=http://www.keepingmyhair.com/contactus]Hair loss news[/url]
Anonymous said…
Hiya everybody, I just signed up on this fantastic online community and wanted to say hi! Have a wonderful day!
Anonymous said…
did megan fox have plastic surgery, [url=http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/187756]megan fox actress[/url] medan fox
kim kardashian untouched photo, [url=http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/187768]kim kardashian vag[/url] free video of kim kardashian sex tape
taylor swift and kanye vma, [url=http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/187772]how tall is taylor swift[/url] free taylor swift download
hanna montana shoes, [url=http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/187786]lilly and oliver hannah montana[/url] hannah montana music video
harry potter legos, [url=http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/187792]harry potter lesson plan[/url] disney harry potter
princess vs holland america cruises to alaska, [url=http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/187798]princess cruise buenos aires to antarctica[/url] 2 days cruises to the bahamas nassau with tours to atlantis
justin bieber boxers, [url=http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/187812]justin bieber age[/url] justen bieber posters at wall mart
britney spears blow, [url=http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/187814]britney spears vigina[/url] britney spears hot scene
megan fox am i touching your penis, [url=http://discuss.tigweb.org/thread/175542]megan fox sinful comcis[/url] megan fox ballet shoes

Popular posts from this blog

A Progress Report for January

Sometimes I sit around writing my own obituary in my head. It’s not that I plan on dying, or that I’m that old, but I just wonder what my legacy would be. If my family had to sum up my life to this point, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be a lot to say. Let’s highlight my first twenty-six years. I hit a game-winning shot against Nettleton—truly the type of shot you dream about as a kid shooting hoops in the driveway—to help Paragould High School make it to the state tournament in 2004 (this is the highlight of my short and mostly uneventful athletic career); I won the Citizenship Award my senior year, which my mother says is way more important than any academic or athletic award; I wrote for the Paragould Daily Press for four years, and I still have people say they miss my column (but you guys can quit lying to me already); I married a girl who is way more intelligent and athletic than I ever dreamed of being; I graduated from college, twice; and I have an adorable puppy that takes up all

The Paragould Daily Press: Is Paid Content the Beginning of the End?

Every few days I read the Paragould Daily Press , my hometown newspaper—a newspaper I worked at as a sports writer for four years—online. I’m never looking for anything in particular. It’s just part of my routine: every morning I skim national, state, and local news for a few minutes. However, when I visited the PDP today, a few things were different. First, the website had been redesigned (and not in a good way—it takes talent to clutter what little content the PDP creates). More importantly, you now have to buy a subscription to read the paper online. This isn’t about having to pay for content (I’m sure the PDP has heard plenty of negative feedback from its online readers already); I understand what the PDP is attempting to accomplish with this move. The move to paid content was inevitable (I remember sitting in a staff meeting and discussing this very matter over five years ago when I was writing for the newspaper), as it will be and has been for much larger publications. Ne

Joe the Plumber

( Caption: So Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber", can't win an election for you. But I bet he can plunge your toliet, right?) A lot of responsibility comes with marriage, such as taking care of your wife when she’s sick like mine is right now. However, to me that’s an easy one. I can make chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, and Jell-O. The challenging part of being married, for me, is the Tim-Allen home improvement gig. Growing up, my dad took care of all those things: changing the oil in the vehicles, patching holes in the wall, replacing chipped tiles, repairing damaged furniture, and unclogging toilets and sinks. To this day there isn’t a problem that my dad can’t solve. It’s his calling. A fixing-up vision I didn’t inherit. Last week, the toilet in our apartment started acting up, such as not flushing with full velocity and taking a minute to drain and refill. Eventually, it stopped working at all. Oh, if there isn’t anything more inhumane t