Skip to main content

Guest Blogger: The Scoop on Jacob - Behind the Scenes with the Wifey (Plus, Jacob's Rebuttal)

Hello. I am Jacob’s wife, and I will be writing this week’s Thursday blog three days early. I know, I know—this doesn’t make a lot of sense. I mean, this is his blog, and you read it because you are interested in the things he says. Well, unfortunately, he has neglected to tell you about his little problem. He is a procrastinator, and, therefore, will be writing about thirty pages worth of papers this week. I hated for this blog to disappoint again, so I decided I would make an attempt to please the masses with an early post instead of a skipped post.

(Of course this is my blog, and I am taking control. I'll be the voice of reason after each paragraph since she is a newbie blogger. First, Dribbling Ink never disappoints...because there are no masses to please. Just thought I'd clear that up.)

(Is it like sexist or something if I use a larger bolded font for my thoughts?) 

I would like to point out, even though it was mentioned in previous blogs, my love for Kansas. I apologize on behalf of my beloved Jayhawks for screwing up everyone’s brackets; I promise you it wasn’t part of the plan. Sometimes crap happens (like that year Arkansas made it to the tournament). Crazy things go down that none of us could predict. But life’s craziness is no reason to be hating on the best team in the nation, so don’t put them down too much.

(I'm sticking with Butler the rest of the way. Formally a huge Gonzaga fan--I even tried to convince my parents to let me attend college there--I have to root for the mid-major.)

I would also like to take this opportunity to tell you a little about the way Jacob and I came to be a couple. Don’t worry, I am not a romantic, sappy girl. This isn’t boring. I just like to tell this story my way because it seems to drive Jacob nuts. See, back in the day Jacob was a bit of a stalker. Even though he had a girlfriend at the time, he used his sports reporter status to follow me around and take pictures of me at sporting events. He will deny all of this if asked, but I’ve seen the pictures. Anyways, in a creepy sounding ending, he added the little high school basketball player on facebook, got her hooked, married her, and then lived happily ever after.

(Deny, deny, deny.)

Now I understand why my husband has such a difficult time writing blogs with any sense of direction and meaning. Seriously, if you have never done this, you should try it. It’s definitely a challenge.

(The sad part is I think she has less grammatical mistakes than me. Of course, that's because I don't take three hours to write one post.)

Next, I hope to give you a little insight into Jacob’s love for all things sports, ESPN, NBA, NFL, PGA, NHL, MLB, NCAA, soccer, ping pong, bowling, tennis, tether ball, curling, figure skating, skateboarding, polo, track and field, boxing, kick-boxing, cricket, cliff diving, etc. Jacob was born to be a sports enthusiast, no matter how much he may try to ignore his calling. There is some profession out there that would be perfect for someone like him; he just has to find it. If you have any suggestions, leave them in the comments please. It would be greatly appreciated. Anyways, Jacob has played sports all his life. He played basketball from age zero through today. He played in peewee basketball, with the middle school traveling team, junior high and high school basketball, and community center league ball. Sorry, I can't find any embarrassing sports pics to attach and wouldn't know how if I did locate them. He also played junior high and high school football. He even had a year-long affair with baseball at some point around middle school, but his batting skills were a little lacking so the affair was cut short.  He loves playing sports. Just the other day he looked at me with these despairing eyes and said, “I’m almost 24. I was supposed to be in the NBA or the NFL by now.” I was sincerely afraid he was going to cry.

(I almost did cry. It was the first time that I actually realized my dreams were dead. Yes, men can cry too. Only about sports, though. Not women.)

But, what he spent even more time on than playing sports was watching, reading, writing, and just loving sports. For this reason he can name Michael Jordan’s kids, Larry Bird’s wife, and LeBron James’s great-aunt’s cousin’s niece’s third pet fish (I haven’t quizzed him on it, but I’m almost sure he could even do that last one). All kinds of people claim to love sports, but I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone with a complex this drastic and serious. So, if you wonder how someone could write as much as he does about sports, and especially Arkansas, just imagine what it’s like to talk to him on a daily basis. And how much time he must spend every day thinking about nothing other than sports.

(Speaking of fish, we got a new fish, but he doesn't have a name yet. I'm still sad about Scribbles dying.)

Luckily, I don’t mind the enthusiast rants, except those about the Pigs. At least I understand the games, even if I don’t know every player. Besides, who doesn’t want to see someone they love being happy. By the way, if you know of an opening for an ESPN writer/photographer/reporter/anchor person, let me know. That would definitely make his life.

(I used to search the ESPN website for jobs. Though I'm not too old to give up on this dream yet, I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. That last sentence is really awkward--I'm not even sure it makes sense. Oh well.)

Anyway, maybe that will give you at least a slight idea of Jacob’s personality. I know all I told you about was his love for sports, but that’s about all there is to know. Oh, he does love to listen to extremely diverse, blaring music while thinking about sports.

(See, I try to make this blog about more than sports, then a woman drops a bomb like this. Apparently, "that's about all there is to know" about me. If I never write another blog about sports, you know why, dear reader.)

Well, until Jacob has a chance to write a blog, happy reading and go Jayhawks!

(Kasa, you know they are sitting at home, right? There's nothing left to cheer for this season. Give it up.)

Comments

Ashton said…
This was pretty entertaining; I've never read a marital "discussion" (That's what my parents called them instead of arguments) over blog before. And as far as the career suggestion goes, my friend is a sports information gal for the University of Tennessee and loves it. I think you would be fabulous!

Popular posts from this blog

A Progress Report for January

Sometimes I sit around writing my own obituary in my head. It’s not that I plan on dying, or that I’m that old, but I just wonder what my legacy would be. If my family had to sum up my life to this point, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be a lot to say. Let’s highlight my first twenty-six years. I hit a game-winning shot against Nettleton—truly the type of shot you dream about as a kid shooting hoops in the driveway—to help Paragould High School make it to the state tournament in 2004 (this is the highlight of my short and mostly uneventful athletic career); I won the Citizenship Award my senior year, which my mother says is way more important than any academic or athletic award; I wrote for the Paragould Daily Press for four years, and I still have people say they miss my column (but you guys can quit lying to me already); I married a girl who is way more intelligent and athletic than I ever dreamed of being; I graduated from college, twice; and I have an adorable puppy that takes up all

The Paragould Daily Press: Is Paid Content the Beginning of the End?

Every few days I read the Paragould Daily Press , my hometown newspaper—a newspaper I worked at as a sports writer for four years—online. I’m never looking for anything in particular. It’s just part of my routine: every morning I skim national, state, and local news for a few minutes. However, when I visited the PDP today, a few things were different. First, the website had been redesigned (and not in a good way—it takes talent to clutter what little content the PDP creates). More importantly, you now have to buy a subscription to read the paper online. This isn’t about having to pay for content (I’m sure the PDP has heard plenty of negative feedback from its online readers already); I understand what the PDP is attempting to accomplish with this move. The move to paid content was inevitable (I remember sitting in a staff meeting and discussing this very matter over five years ago when I was writing for the newspaper), as it will be and has been for much larger publications. Ne

Joe the Plumber

( Caption: So Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber", can't win an election for you. But I bet he can plunge your toliet, right?) A lot of responsibility comes with marriage, such as taking care of your wife when she’s sick like mine is right now. However, to me that’s an easy one. I can make chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, and Jell-O. The challenging part of being married, for me, is the Tim-Allen home improvement gig. Growing up, my dad took care of all those things: changing the oil in the vehicles, patching holes in the wall, replacing chipped tiles, repairing damaged furniture, and unclogging toilets and sinks. To this day there isn’t a problem that my dad can’t solve. It’s his calling. A fixing-up vision I didn’t inherit. Last week, the toilet in our apartment started acting up, such as not flushing with full velocity and taking a minute to drain and refill. Eventually, it stopped working at all. Oh, if there isn’t anything more inhumane t