Skip to main content

Conversations: Meggie Hodge



(Friday's Note: I'm sorry this conversation wasn't longer. I had a lot more questions I wanted to ask, but my week didn't slow down until today -- and I know Meggie is busy, too. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up with Meggie again later and hash everything else out.)

When I first came up with the idea of conducting a weekly chat for Dribbling Ink, this week’s interviewee — Meggie Hodge — was one of the first people that came to mind. I would say I have a recreational interest in fashion and style. For what it’s worth, I check out GQ Online almost daily; whether my personal style benefits is questionable. That’s why I brought in an expert to talk fashion.

Just so you know, we both graduated from the same high school in the same year; we also lived on the same street (probably less than a mile apart) for a number of years. The only reason I bring this up is so I can sell my story someday when Meggie is famous.

Anyway, if you don’t know, Meggie is kind of a big deal in the fashion industry in California, and she was nice enough to spare some time to talk with the less fashionable (me and, probably, you, dear reader). Enjoy.

Jacob Cooper: First off, I am a fan of your group Meggie Claire on Facebook and always read your messages about specials and such--even though I am pretty sure the group isn't geared towards guys. However, for those readers who don't know, can you describe what it is you do and some of the products you have to offer?

Meggie Hodge: At Meggie Claire I design and produce custom apparel for individual customers. I specialize in wedding, evening, and cocktail dresses. Each design is based on the customer's inspiration. I ask for 5 colors and 5 or more inspirations (i.e. fashion, photography, artwork, architecture, etc.). Once they have given me this, I come up with a design based on their colors and inspirations and pitch the idea to them. Each customer has a say in each step of the process so that I can insure that the end result will be exactly what they want!

JC: Wow, there aren't too many places that I can think of--well, none actually--that would give me a say in how I want my clothes to look or fit. I think it's a neat idea.

However, is there anything you can make for guys? I mean, there has to be some guys like me that are picky about how their clothes fit and would like to have a say in the design of, say, a button-up shirt.

MH: As far as guy’s clothing goes, I can make them but I currently don't. Currently, I only create custom dresses for women.

JC: OK, but maybe if I can encourage enough guys, we can bring some guy's clothing options to Meggie Claire by popular demand. Of course, I know nothing about design, so I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why you don't design clothing for guys. (No explanation needed, heh).

(After reading over the conversation, I feel like I harped on the guy’s clothing a little much. However, since I am a guy, I’ll excuse myself.)

Anyway, what was your inspiration to get into apparel design? (Excuse me if I don't know all the jargon). Also, what would you say has the most influence on your personal style? Because we lived on the same road for a few years, did growing up in the South have any specific influence on your style?

MH: I have wanted to be a fashion designer for as long as I can remember. I remember when I was probably 3 years old, trying to make own Barbie clothes and drawing dresses on a Barbie fashion design set that I had. I think part of what led me to designing was watching my Mom in her interior design business when I was a kid. I went to a lot of appointments with her and was always watching what she did. I grew up in a very creative home and as a result was also very creative!

To be honest, I'm not really sure where my personal style comes from. I would say growing up in the South did have something to do with my style and also all of my travels abroad have influenced it. I have lived in Arkansas, Texas, and California and have also lived for short periods in Italy and Brazil. I would say that all of these places have been very influential to my style. Basically, I just wear what I like and design what I think is beautiful and never let myself think twice. I usually go with my first instinct and hope for the best!

JC: That's great you are following your dreams. I know you had plenty of support from your family, especially your mom; however, did you ever encounter any resistance? Anyone who thought you were crazy wanting to be a fashion designer?

MH: I have encountered a lot of resistance, especially since I moved to California. The fashion industry is a tough industry to be a part of. You deal with lots of people who shoot you down and lots of bad business people in this industry. Despite the rough times I've had since all of this started, I have found that if you stick with what you know is right you will advance slowly but surely.

JC: Also, it's interesting that you said you just go with your "first instinct and hope for the best." Do you think that some people just have an inherent eye for style? Because I know I have to plan out my outfits, and even then they don't always look good.

MH: I do believe that some people have an inherent eye for style because I can remember putting together outfits as a 3 year old before I even had any idea what fashion was. However, I do believe that fashion can be learned.

JC: OK, well, it’s been great talking to you, and I wish you the best of luck in with your business in the future. Thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions--I know you have a busy schedule.

MH: Thanks, Jacob.

If you are interested in having a custom dress made by Meggie Claire, you can contact Meggie at meggie@meggieclaire.com for more information and a free consultation!

Also, if you aren’t a fan, go join the Meggie Claire group on Facebook. And if you’re a guy, join the group and tell Meggie she should design some polos for guys, since that's my favorite style of shirt.

Comments

aprilmay said…
Love this! Thanks for sharing it!
Anonymous said…
You could easily be making money online in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat blog[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or not-so-known methods to generate an income online.

Popular posts from this blog

A Progress Report for January

Sometimes I sit around writing my own obituary in my head. It’s not that I plan on dying, or that I’m that old, but I just wonder what my legacy would be. If my family had to sum up my life to this point, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be a lot to say. Let’s highlight my first twenty-six years. I hit a game-winning shot against Nettleton—truly the type of shot you dream about as a kid shooting hoops in the driveway—to help Paragould High School make it to the state tournament in 2004 (this is the highlight of my short and mostly uneventful athletic career); I won the Citizenship Award my senior year, which my mother says is way more important than any academic or athletic award; I wrote for the Paragould Daily Press for four years, and I still have people say they miss my column (but you guys can quit lying to me already); I married a girl who is way more intelligent and athletic than I ever dreamed of being; I graduated from college, twice; and I have an adorable puppy that takes up all

The Paragould Daily Press: Is Paid Content the Beginning of the End?

Every few days I read the Paragould Daily Press , my hometown newspaper—a newspaper I worked at as a sports writer for four years—online. I’m never looking for anything in particular. It’s just part of my routine: every morning I skim national, state, and local news for a few minutes. However, when I visited the PDP today, a few things were different. First, the website had been redesigned (and not in a good way—it takes talent to clutter what little content the PDP creates). More importantly, you now have to buy a subscription to read the paper online. This isn’t about having to pay for content (I’m sure the PDP has heard plenty of negative feedback from its online readers already); I understand what the PDP is attempting to accomplish with this move. The move to paid content was inevitable (I remember sitting in a staff meeting and discussing this very matter over five years ago when I was writing for the newspaper), as it will be and has been for much larger publications. Ne

Joe the Plumber

( Caption: So Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber", can't win an election for you. But I bet he can plunge your toliet, right?) A lot of responsibility comes with marriage, such as taking care of your wife when she’s sick like mine is right now. However, to me that’s an easy one. I can make chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, and Jell-O. The challenging part of being married, for me, is the Tim-Allen home improvement gig. Growing up, my dad took care of all those things: changing the oil in the vehicles, patching holes in the wall, replacing chipped tiles, repairing damaged furniture, and unclogging toilets and sinks. To this day there isn’t a problem that my dad can’t solve. It’s his calling. A fixing-up vision I didn’t inherit. Last week, the toilet in our apartment started acting up, such as not flushing with full velocity and taking a minute to drain and refill. Eventually, it stopped working at all. Oh, if there isn’t anything more inhumane t