Skip to main content

We Got that Wood Right Here!

(Caption: Arkansas pwns LSU. This is the best caption. Ever. And it defeats the entire purpose of this blog.)

Sports, literature, Arkansas. These are the supposed topics of this blog. I've got the sports covered; however, I'm slacking in my literature and Arkansas material. (I have fiction to post, but I still get nervous about posting my creative writing). I guess you could consider the Conversations as concerning Arkansas since everyone I've interviewed is from the Natural State (minus the imaginary conversations).

Still, seeing as Dribbling Ink is the most followed blog concerning Arkansas (or at least pretending to be) on Networked Blogs, I feel I should write a blog about Arkansas -- or at least make an attempt to. Yeah, I am kind of a big deal in Arkansas, moving in on Scottie Pippen, Corliss Williamson, and Bill Clinton territory.

Note: I started this blog on Monday...it's now early Friday morning. Needless to say the flow is gone, but the links are still relevant (I think). Anyway, this is the perfect spot to say a few things. First, I don't want this blog to be full a self-promoting, annoying personal rant, which it flirts with becoming at times. Second, I know I spend more time saying what I am going to do rather than doing it. That all changes today. Third, thank you for reading.

As part of a way to focus on Arkansas, don't forget about Ashton Reely's blog  (http://www.fabulousfamiliar.blogspot.com/), Meggie Hodge's clothing apparel business, or Kathryn Richey's photography business. Also, check out Jordan Jackson-Gross's blog (http://conversationtimewithjordan.blogspot.com/).We work together -- she's appeared numerous times in this blog as "co-worker," I think. Anyway, reading her blog will be well worth your time.

Time-warp: Back to the original blog...

Apparently the KFC buffet originated in Paragould, Arkansas, and I have proof. Of course, that is if you believe the Paragould Daily Press is a credible source. Which it is...I mean, no doubt. It isn't called the Daily Mess for nothing (double negative burn) -- it offers so much relevant information that it's hard to keep it all clear in your head. I kid the PDP. I endured enjoyed my four years there as a sports writer.

I'll be quiet and give you the link already: http://paragoulddailypress.com/articles/2010/04/11/local_news/doc4bc11ed3e1151748674505.txt

I also wrote a blog during my first graduate semester about the South, specifically Northeast Arkansas. It didn't turn out exactly as I planned: I overgeneralized without focusing on Northeast Arkansas as much as I had planned. As anything I do for school, it was an exercise in mediocrity.

If you want to torture yourself, here's where to go: http://southernidentity.blogspot.com/

Oh, here's a link for the title, if you need some context: http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=6202276

Like most of my blogs, this isn't going anywhere. However, like most of my blogs (I say this often, eh?), I hope this blog will serve as a reminder and as inspiration for me to write more about Arkansas. Who knows, maybe I will try to incorporate some of the Southern Identity blog into this blog. I love Arkansas, which isn't a sentiment many fellow Arkansans I know seem to share; therefore, outside of writing about Arkansas sports, I hope to write more about the Natural State and its influence on my writing (vague and nonbinding, just how I like it).

If you, dear reader, have any suggestions or comments about Arkansas -- because I know the majority of my readers are from or live in Arkansas -- I'd love to hear from you. I will make this plea until someone actually leaves a useful comment. Dang non-participators.

Comments

Jordan said…
I love good ole Arkansas, too...I kind of feel bad about calling it the buttcrack of America in my last status update on fb. Thanks for giving me a name!

Popular posts from this blog

A Progress Report for January

Sometimes I sit around writing my own obituary in my head. It’s not that I plan on dying, or that I’m that old, but I just wonder what my legacy would be. If my family had to sum up my life to this point, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be a lot to say. Let’s highlight my first twenty-six years. I hit a game-winning shot against Nettleton—truly the type of shot you dream about as a kid shooting hoops in the driveway—to help Paragould High School make it to the state tournament in 2004 (this is the highlight of my short and mostly uneventful athletic career); I won the Citizenship Award my senior year, which my mother says is way more important than any academic or athletic award; I wrote for the Paragould Daily Press for four years, and I still have people say they miss my column (but you guys can quit lying to me already); I married a girl who is way more intelligent and athletic than I ever dreamed of being; I graduated from college, twice; and I have an adorable puppy that takes up all

The Paragould Daily Press: Is Paid Content the Beginning of the End?

Every few days I read the Paragould Daily Press , my hometown newspaper—a newspaper I worked at as a sports writer for four years—online. I’m never looking for anything in particular. It’s just part of my routine: every morning I skim national, state, and local news for a few minutes. However, when I visited the PDP today, a few things were different. First, the website had been redesigned (and not in a good way—it takes talent to clutter what little content the PDP creates). More importantly, you now have to buy a subscription to read the paper online. This isn’t about having to pay for content (I’m sure the PDP has heard plenty of negative feedback from its online readers already); I understand what the PDP is attempting to accomplish with this move. The move to paid content was inevitable (I remember sitting in a staff meeting and discussing this very matter over five years ago when I was writing for the newspaper), as it will be and has been for much larger publications. Ne

Joe the Plumber

( Caption: So Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber", can't win an election for you. But I bet he can plunge your toliet, right?) A lot of responsibility comes with marriage, such as taking care of your wife when she’s sick like mine is right now. However, to me that’s an easy one. I can make chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, and Jell-O. The challenging part of being married, for me, is the Tim-Allen home improvement gig. Growing up, my dad took care of all those things: changing the oil in the vehicles, patching holes in the wall, replacing chipped tiles, repairing damaged furniture, and unclogging toilets and sinks. To this day there isn’t a problem that my dad can’t solve. It’s his calling. A fixing-up vision I didn’t inherit. Last week, the toilet in our apartment started acting up, such as not flushing with full velocity and taking a minute to drain and refill. Eventually, it stopped working at all. Oh, if there isn’t anything more inhumane t