Skip to main content

Post-March Sadness/Gladness (Note the pun on Madness)

(Caption: This may be lurking behind that greenish-yellow cloud of pollen.)

March Madness. Spring break. My birthday. There isn't a reason to dislike March. In fact, there's every reason to be sad at its departure.

Yup, it's that time of the year again. That time. The time we all hate. You know, that time? Oh, I mean that time. THAT time. If you're wondering, my wife would say this is how I talk about everything. But I'm not vague. IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR.

So, in honor of it being that time of the year again, I'm busting out a list. The top 10 reasons, in no particular order (ignore the numbering, it just makes it easier to read), to hate/love the post-March year.

Hate...

1) The greenish-yellow cloud of pollen hovering over the world -- or, at least, Arkadelphia. I'm waiting for those bat/pterodactyl-like things to burst out of the cloud like in Stephen King's novella/film The Mist.

2) Getting older. Yeah, I know: it's always happening. I guess this one is personal. After my birthday, I feel like I begin to decay (recently, that is). It's just a short trip to 25. Then 30. Before long I'll be old. Then dead. Optimistic, eh?

3) Baseball. America's sport -- whatever. My opinion was probably swayed by the four years I spent covering college, American Legion, high school, and little league baseball. It takes too long. However, sitting in the dugout with upper-level teams can be fun. Plus, baseball coaches/managers seem to be the least uptight of all coaches.

4) No more college basketball -- the madness turns to sadness. Yes, I know the Final Four and the NCAA Championship Game are in April, but it's still the end. At least it's going to be an exciting final game. Duke-Butler is the perfect championship matchup. The perennial powerhouse versus the newcomers. There seems to be an ongoing debate as to whether or not Butler is a Cinderella team. I'd have to say yes and no. Granted they've been ranked in the top ten the entire year (I think, or close), the Bulldogs aren't supposed to be here. Elite Eights and Final Fours are supposed to be the cemetery of mid-major dreams.

5) School. You think it's ending. You tell yourself, "If I can make it to Spring Break, I've made it." Then you realize that big paper or project you've put off the entire year is looming large. Not to mention finals. Why can't it be January again?

Love...

1) No school. It seems contradictory, I know. But, unless you're going to summer school (shoot me, because I will probably be one of those people), it's over for a few months. Freedom.

2) Summer attire. I actually hate summer clothes. I never wear shorts or cut-off T-shirts. I'd rather wear jeans and long-sleeve button-up shirts any day. Of course, maybe that's because I'm scrawny and pale. Winter obviously suits these traits best.

3) Golf. Sure, you can play golf year around; however, for amateurs like me, this is the best time of the year to play. It isn't too cold or hot. Of course, this doesn't help my score. I will probably slice off the tee for the rest of my life. Only playing a couple of times every year isn't helping either.

4) The lake. Refer back to number 2. Maybe I should start tanning. But that costs money and then people make fun of me. It's a cruel world.

5) Reading. More specifically, reading for fun. After school is over, there is so much time to read. Reading during the winter is fine, but there's nothing like reading at the lake or the beach or around a campfire or anywhere outside.

I can't really think of a conclusion. Stop reading this blog and go outside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Progress Report for January

Sometimes I sit around writing my own obituary in my head. It’s not that I plan on dying, or that I’m that old, but I just wonder what my legacy would be. If my family had to sum up my life to this point, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be a lot to say. Let’s highlight my first twenty-six years. I hit a game-winning shot against Nettleton—truly the type of shot you dream about as a kid shooting hoops in the driveway—to help Paragould High School make it to the state tournament in 2004 (this is the highlight of my short and mostly uneventful athletic career); I won the Citizenship Award my senior year, which my mother says is way more important than any academic or athletic award; I wrote for the Paragould Daily Press for four years, and I still have people say they miss my column (but you guys can quit lying to me already); I married a girl who is way more intelligent and athletic than I ever dreamed of being; I graduated from college, twice; and I have an adorable puppy that takes up all

The Paragould Daily Press: Is Paid Content the Beginning of the End?

Every few days I read the Paragould Daily Press , my hometown newspaper—a newspaper I worked at as a sports writer for four years—online. I’m never looking for anything in particular. It’s just part of my routine: every morning I skim national, state, and local news for a few minutes. However, when I visited the PDP today, a few things were different. First, the website had been redesigned (and not in a good way—it takes talent to clutter what little content the PDP creates). More importantly, you now have to buy a subscription to read the paper online. This isn’t about having to pay for content (I’m sure the PDP has heard plenty of negative feedback from its online readers already); I understand what the PDP is attempting to accomplish with this move. The move to paid content was inevitable (I remember sitting in a staff meeting and discussing this very matter over five years ago when I was writing for the newspaper), as it will be and has been for much larger publications. Ne

Joe the Plumber

( Caption: So Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber", can't win an election for you. But I bet he can plunge your toliet, right?) A lot of responsibility comes with marriage, such as taking care of your wife when she’s sick like mine is right now. However, to me that’s an easy one. I can make chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, and Jell-O. The challenging part of being married, for me, is the Tim-Allen home improvement gig. Growing up, my dad took care of all those things: changing the oil in the vehicles, patching holes in the wall, replacing chipped tiles, repairing damaged furniture, and unclogging toilets and sinks. To this day there isn’t a problem that my dad can’t solve. It’s his calling. A fixing-up vision I didn’t inherit. Last week, the toilet in our apartment started acting up, such as not flushing with full velocity and taking a minute to drain and refill. Eventually, it stopped working at all. Oh, if there isn’t anything more inhumane t