Skip to main content

Arkansas-South Carolina Diary

Photo by Wesley Hitt



7:18: In case you didn’t know, I am old school: I listen to the Razorbacks’ games on the radio. Why? (Wait, be right back—my fried rice is burning)…Anyway, I don’t have cable or satellite. If you read Dribbling Ink the first time around, you know that I am too poor for cable, even though I am doing better economically than a few months ago. My wife says getting cable would make finishing homework impossible, which is probably true. I have enough trouble doing my homework with nothing else to do.


7:25: The Arkansas-South Carolina game tips off in about forty minutes. I forgot to mention that tonight’s game is the point of this running diary. The Hogs can’t afford to drop tonight’s home game after losing to Alabama over the weekend. Not to say it’s a must-win, but the Hogs won’t win the SEC West if they lose this game.


7:28: My research paper topic is due tomorrow in my American West class. I’m guessing that when my professor says he is open to almost any topic about the West he wouldn’t be too happy if I submitted a paper about Arkansas’ former dominance of the SEC West in basketball. Oh well, I still have approximately fifteen hours or so before class.


7:37: Got the pregame show cranked up and ready to roll. The Gamecocks are 1-8 on the road this season. Encouraging. However, if you think the Hogs have a good point guard in Courtney Fortson, SC counters with 5-9 senior Devan Downey, who leads the SEC in scoring at 22.8 ppg on the year. Should be a good battle on the perimeter.


7:40: My wife, who is a poser Kansas fan, is home and ready to eat. Quick break before the tip.


8:01: Ate the fried rice I cooked while my wife got me caught up on season 2 of Merlin. The starting lineups are being announced. I’m thinking it’s time for Rotnei Clarke to have a big game; he hasn’t lit up the scoreboard in a few weeks. I’m calling at least three 3-pointers.


8:04: Marshawn Powell scores the first points of the game. We need to make sure and get the ball in the paint for the entire game, especially in the second half. He’s now scored the first four points of the game for the Hogs.


8:06: Great, Powell leaves after taking a shot to the head and SC scores five quick points and takes its first lead at 7-6.


8:11: Mike Washington picks up two quick fouls. Not good. He makes all the hustle plays and is the team’s best rebounder. SEC officials seem to have a beef with Washington; he’s always on the wrong end of calls.


8:13: Clarke hits a deep 3-point basket (the 702nd game in a row the Hogs have hit a 3-pointer, which dates back to 1989—yeah, the random facts on the radio are the best), bringing the Hogs back within one, 12-11.


8:15: Clarke hits his second 3-pointer in a row. He’s going to make me look like a genius. I promise that I’m not going to keep writing at this pace, but Clarke reminds me of a younger me. Yeah, I could shoot like that. I’m kind of a big deal.


8:17: Well, if the Gamecocks continue to shoot 50 percent (4-8) from the 3-point line, the Hogs will struggle to keep pace. We need to defend the perimeter better. Yes, I am Captain Obvious, too. But isn’t that what coaches do? Just point on the obvious and mix in some motivation?


8:25: With 8:53 to go the Gamecocks are forced to take a thirty-second timeout after the Hogs sprint back ahead, 27-25, thanks to a 6-0 run. I’m not sure how I feel about a barn-burner—the offense is usually shaky down the stretch. I love Fortson, but the other players have a tendency to just stand around and expect him to make all the plays. Fortson needs to try to get everyone involved in the offense.


8:32: Powell is dominating the game with 16 early points with 3:18 left in the first half. The graduation of Washington will be a big loss, but I think Powell can easily fill the void. The question is whether Glenn Bryant or Delvon Johnson can step up their games. Johnson has made a few solid hustle plays so far, but it seems like the kid can’t catch. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard Rick Schaeffer say, “Johnson can’t control the rebound as it goes off his hands out of bounds.” He also has a patch of gray hair on top of his head. I have one of those, but it’s more in the back around my neck. Good information, I know.


8:48: Marcus Britt makes a huge play at the end of the first half, stealing the ball from Downey for an easy 2-point bucket to give the Hogs a 40-33 lead.


Halftime: Made a batch of no-bake cookies with my wife before she left to study her cat.


9:05: Clarke hits his third 3-pointer of the game to open the second half. Sometimes I think I am clairvoyant. Hopefully he will double my prediction.


9:08: Powell continues to play like a seasoned veteran. Powell and Clarke have combined for 29 of the Hogs’ 47 points.


9:10: Looks like the refs don’t want Washington to play in this game. Already picked up his third foul. He doesn’t seem to get any respect from the officials for trying to take charges. It has to be deflating as a defender to do everything right and be hit with a foul.


9:11: Powell’s one-hand dunk via Fortson’s lob pass prompts SC to burn a full timeout. Hogs lead 51-39. Now matter how crappy the beginning of the year was, Razorback fans have to be excited about the future with Fortson, Clarke, and Powell as the nucleus for the next two and a half years. Powell has scored in double figures in 20 of 26 games this season.


9:15: Fortson has absolutely taken the game over. Two quick assists to Powell and Johnson for dunks and a scoop shot to give Arkansas a 57-39 lead. The crowd erupts into a boisterous Hog call as the Gamecocks burn their second timeout in last minute. Woo Pig Sooie! Add a deep 3-pointer for Fortson, who is flirting with a triple-double (9 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds so far).


9:23: Downey hits two quick 3-pointers. Here comes a run. The Gamecocks are being very aggressive on defense and trapping. My interest is waning, though—I’ve started reading for my literary criticism class during the commercial breaks. I’m getting dangerously close to mailing this game in already as a fan. I should know better as a Razorback fan.


9:28: Washington becomes only the fourth Razorback to score 1000 points, grab 600 rebounds, and block 100 shots in a career. I feel confident in saying that Powell will be the fifth Arkansas player to accomplish this, if he stays healthy for four years.


9:55
: The game is moving too slowly. SC continues to rain in 3-pointers and foul the Hogs quickly. I love how players like Sam Muldrow, who shoots 23 percent from the 3-point line for the year, is 4-6 against Arkansas. Happens every game. Like the player from Alabama who was like 11-12 from the free-throw line but had only made like 5-25 coming into the game. I don’t know if it’s our defense or if we are just unlucky.


10:05: The Hogs finish off an impressive 92-79 win over South Carolina and regain sole possession of the SEC West. Powell carried the team offensively, and Johnson recorded his first career double-digit rebounding game, picking up the slack in the absence of Washington.


It’s almost impossible to imagine that Arkansas is in the driver’s seat of the SEC West with only five games remaining after a horrendous start to the year. I’m cautiously optimistic about their chances of winning their division, which would almost assure them a berth in the NCAA tournament, in my opinion, as long as they win a couple of games in the SEC tournament. However, things get tough with Vanderbilt and Tennessee looming. Winning three of the remaining games is a must, which is doable, but even that doesn’t guarantee them anything but the NIT. Don’t get me wrong: I’d take the NIT—it would be an improvement over last year and something to build on for the future.


11:47: Bad news: Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett suffered a foot injury in practice on Wednesday and will reportedly miss three to four months.



Comments

モバゲー said…
モバゲーより確実に逢えるスタービーチ♪今まで遊びをしてこなかった人でも100%であいが堪能できます。理想の異性をGETするなら当サイトにお任せください
高松宮記念 said…
高松宮記念の最新予想!オッズ、厳選買い目は?!レースの鍵を握る馬は裏情報を特別公開
聖なる場所スタービーチで愛を育てませんか。メル友や恋人、セクフレなど貴方が理想としている関係がスタビでは築けちゃいます。素敵なであいから発展させていきませんか
競馬予想 said…
2010 競馬予想 各厩舎・調教師から届けられる最強の馬券情報を限定公開!本物の オッズ 表はコレだ
友達 said…
よく「彼氏いるでしょ~?」って言われるけど、イナイよσ(‾^‾)トモダチ集めてホームパーティーなんかしたりするのがマイブームでして♪♪好きな人ができてもハズかしくて告れない…(>_< )しゅりのココロをゲットしてぇ~☆コドモっぽい性格だから年上でお兄ちゃんみたいな人がタイプだよ(*^m^*) h-13-i-12@docomo.ne.jp
遂に復活!!スタービーチで素敵なであいをお楽しみ下さい

Popular posts from this blog

A Progress Report for January

Sometimes I sit around writing my own obituary in my head. It’s not that I plan on dying, or that I’m that old, but I just wonder what my legacy would be. If my family had to sum up my life to this point, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be a lot to say. Let’s highlight my first twenty-six years. I hit a game-winning shot against Nettleton—truly the type of shot you dream about as a kid shooting hoops in the driveway—to help Paragould High School make it to the state tournament in 2004 (this is the highlight of my short and mostly uneventful athletic career); I won the Citizenship Award my senior year, which my mother says is way more important than any academic or athletic award; I wrote for the Paragould Daily Press for four years, and I still have people say they miss my column (but you guys can quit lying to me already); I married a girl who is way more intelligent and athletic than I ever dreamed of being; I graduated from college, twice; and I have an adorable puppy that takes up all

The Paragould Daily Press: Is Paid Content the Beginning of the End?

Every few days I read the Paragould Daily Press , my hometown newspaper—a newspaper I worked at as a sports writer for four years—online. I’m never looking for anything in particular. It’s just part of my routine: every morning I skim national, state, and local news for a few minutes. However, when I visited the PDP today, a few things were different. First, the website had been redesigned (and not in a good way—it takes talent to clutter what little content the PDP creates). More importantly, you now have to buy a subscription to read the paper online. This isn’t about having to pay for content (I’m sure the PDP has heard plenty of negative feedback from its online readers already); I understand what the PDP is attempting to accomplish with this move. The move to paid content was inevitable (I remember sitting in a staff meeting and discussing this very matter over five years ago when I was writing for the newspaper), as it will be and has been for much larger publications. Ne

Joe the Plumber

( Caption: So Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber", can't win an election for you. But I bet he can plunge your toliet, right?) A lot of responsibility comes with marriage, such as taking care of your wife when she’s sick like mine is right now. However, to me that’s an easy one. I can make chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, and Jell-O. The challenging part of being married, for me, is the Tim-Allen home improvement gig. Growing up, my dad took care of all those things: changing the oil in the vehicles, patching holes in the wall, replacing chipped tiles, repairing damaged furniture, and unclogging toilets and sinks. To this day there isn’t a problem that my dad can’t solve. It’s his calling. A fixing-up vision I didn’t inherit. Last week, the toilet in our apartment started acting up, such as not flushing with full velocity and taking a minute to drain and refill. Eventually, it stopped working at all. Oh, if there isn’t anything more inhumane t