Skip to main content

A True Fan: A Bed, a Baby, and a Bracket


A baby-sized caption: The Razorbacks' lucky charm, Chase Gross.


First, I have an admission to make. After eating supper, watching some Smallville (yes, I know I am the only person over thirteen that still watches this show), and saying goodbye to my wife (who left to dissect a cat or something), I had one thing on my mind: watching the Arkansas-LSU basketball game. However, after a stressful day at work, which consisted of sitting in an empty computer lab for over three hours, I was exhausted. Blah, blah, blah: I feel asleep in the recliner. I woke up around ten and checked my phone, which showed the usual pre-midnight text: “Wanna play some COD (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for PS3 for my non-gaming readers)?” I needed to do homework, intended to watch the game, and wanted to play COD; nevertheless, I crawled into bed and slept. And Wednesday ended.

I am a terrible fan, I know. But it’s the first thing I thought about Thursday morning. I opened Firefox with anxiety. For a moment, I considered not checking the score. Why? The Hogs have been on such a hot streak and I didn’t want it to end. Of course, reason prevailed: the outcome was set whether I checked the score or not. Luckily, I was flabbergasted by their success and not a letdown. A 35-point win, even against a Tigers’ team that is winless in conference play (9-15, 0-10 SEC), is impressive. Granted this isn’t the same LSU that went 13-3 and won the SEC last year, but they still have enough talented players, like Tasmin Mitchell, to pose a threat to Arkansas.

Heck, I’ll sleep through every Arkansas game if it will help them win by 35 points. Wait? Would I? Which leads me to the inspiration for this blog: What is the true nature of being a fan? Would a true fan rather sleep through every game and have his team win by double-digits OR does a true fan watch every game intently and live with the ups and downs of winning and defeat? It’s an interesting question. Is the team’s success or the fan’s enjoyment more important?

If it wasn’t my sleep that propelled the Hogs to victory then it was my co-worker’s newborn. The basketball Razorbacks haven’t dropped a game since Chase Gross was born. In fact, he was born at halftime of the Mississippi State in which the Hogs trailed by 13 points. After Chase’s birth, Fortson scored 33 points in the second half to carry Arkansas to victory and the team hasn’t let up since. Chase is already a Hog legend in my book.

Back in Northeast Arkansas at my alma mater, Arkansas State is matching if not surpassing the success of the Hogs. Currently, the Red Wolves are 9-3 in league play and sit alone atop the Sun Belt Conference. John Brady was a great hire for ASU, and the program will only continue to get better under his guidance. I’m just not sure ASU will have the money required to pay Brady when it comes time. However, even Joe Lunardi, resident bracketologist at ESPN, has taken notice of the Red Wolves’ winning ways. In his latest projections, he has ASU as the 15th seed in South Region with a first-round date against Duke (you can check out the projections here, dear reader: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology).

Since I can’t sleep during the day, I guess I’ll just have to rely on Boss Hog Chase to carry the Razorbacks to victory on Saturday. Or, maybe I’ll start a new superstition and take my wife out to dinner for Valentine’s Day instead of watching the game. I mean, I know I don’t have to ask what’s more important, being a spouse or being a fan. Right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Progress Report for January

Sometimes I sit around writing my own obituary in my head. It’s not that I plan on dying, or that I’m that old, but I just wonder what my legacy would be. If my family had to sum up my life to this point, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be a lot to say. Let’s highlight my first twenty-six years. I hit a game-winning shot against Nettleton—truly the type of shot you dream about as a kid shooting hoops in the driveway—to help Paragould High School make it to the state tournament in 2004 (this is the highlight of my short and mostly uneventful athletic career); I won the Citizenship Award my senior year, which my mother says is way more important than any academic or athletic award; I wrote for the Paragould Daily Press for four years, and I still have people say they miss my column (but you guys can quit lying to me already); I married a girl who is way more intelligent and athletic than I ever dreamed of being; I graduated from college, twice; and I have an adorable puppy that takes up all

The Paragould Daily Press: Is Paid Content the Beginning of the End?

Every few days I read the Paragould Daily Press , my hometown newspaper—a newspaper I worked at as a sports writer for four years—online. I’m never looking for anything in particular. It’s just part of my routine: every morning I skim national, state, and local news for a few minutes. However, when I visited the PDP today, a few things were different. First, the website had been redesigned (and not in a good way—it takes talent to clutter what little content the PDP creates). More importantly, you now have to buy a subscription to read the paper online. This isn’t about having to pay for content (I’m sure the PDP has heard plenty of negative feedback from its online readers already); I understand what the PDP is attempting to accomplish with this move. The move to paid content was inevitable (I remember sitting in a staff meeting and discussing this very matter over five years ago when I was writing for the newspaper), as it will be and has been for much larger publications. Ne

Joe the Plumber

( Caption: So Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber", can't win an election for you. But I bet he can plunge your toliet, right?) A lot of responsibility comes with marriage, such as taking care of your wife when she’s sick like mine is right now. However, to me that’s an easy one. I can make chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, and Jell-O. The challenging part of being married, for me, is the Tim-Allen home improvement gig. Growing up, my dad took care of all those things: changing the oil in the vehicles, patching holes in the wall, replacing chipped tiles, repairing damaged furniture, and unclogging toilets and sinks. To this day there isn’t a problem that my dad can’t solve. It’s his calling. A fixing-up vision I didn’t inherit. Last week, the toilet in our apartment started acting up, such as not flushing with full velocity and taking a minute to drain and refill. Eventually, it stopped working at all. Oh, if there isn’t anything more inhumane t