Skip to main content

10 Things I've Learned in the First Two Months of Married Life

Because I’ve been lazy lately, and there haven’t been any random strangers wandering into the apartment, it’s time to break out another list.

Things I’ve learned since I got married:

1) I’ll eat cheese cake with strawberries on top (after years of avoiding this topping, making my mother prepare all food “plain” my entire life, my wife forced me to try it—it’s not so bad).

2) I’ll eat vegetables, namely corn not on the cob, which I’ve never liked before.

3) Supreme pizzas are actually quite tasteful.

4) Being “overqualified” for a job is actually Coachspeak—or maybe Workspeak, in this case—for “Yes, you have a degree, which does make you more formally educated than everyone else that applied; however, your degree is a B.A. in English and we’re not sure that it’s practical in any way to the business environment. Good luck serving up White Chocolate Mochas at Starbucks, hippie.”

5) Eating chicken wasn’t just a childhood fad of mine. It’s a lifetime commitment.

6) I think about food more than the average person (my wife just scanned my list and totally “agrees” with this one).

7) I’m addicted to fantasy football (insert last-place team comment here: Grr…it’s like beating a dead horse, so I’ll withstand the urge…ah!).

8) I hate being touched/glanced/kicked/poked/pinched/bear-hugged/breathed on/tickled while sleeping (my wife put it in layman terms [she’s been studying nomenclature too much]: “[your] bubble pops, with a loud noise, very easily at the slightest touch, causing mass hypertension/hyperventilating”).

9) You don’t get paid to write a blog that nobody reads.

10) “Misplacing” your wedding ring is a lot more severe than all those other things you told your mom you “misplaced” when you were little.

Edit: Quickly, a few more things I've learned: hair falls out more rapidly, frozen pizzas taste just as good (if not better) as before, "through thick and thin" translates into "helping her through Chemistry/Botany" (I tell her if the otherside of the flashcard is indeed what she said), washing dishes is a fulltime job, being OCD isn't enjoyable when you sit home all day, you can only play Madden so many times (though I'm not quite there yet), life without cable is possible, NetFlix is amazing, Clark and Lana need to end this relationship (I'm only on season 5 of Smallville, don't spoil it for me), I picked a bad time to enter the workforce, and garbage stinks if you don't take it out in time.

Comments

Katie said…
I rather enjoy your lists. They're pretty entertaining. If it makes you feel better, I couldn't even get a job at Starbucks. :(
Jacob Cooper said…
Thanks :P
Well, I guess, but not really. I think that puts us on the same boat: The Unemployed Raft (OK, tried to play on the Love Boat, but I think I failed).
I also added you to the Blogs I Follow. Keep writing--it's fun and stuff.
Anonymous said…
i enjoy your blog...ill read it a lot more now that we have internet at home(YAY WIRELESS DSL!!)

God bless
ky
Anonymous said…
[url=http://pittsburghmom.com/members/Pokimon2010/default.aspx/][img]http://i048.radikal.ru/0910/57/9a759e833d4a.jpg[/img][/url]

10604 movies of scant DVD status

We have thousands of the hottest movies you've been waiting to watch! And they're now available in Hi-Def!
These movies are playable on most viewing devices including iPod, PDA (HandHelds), PC, DVD & DivX players.
There are absolutely no limits. Download as much as you penury with incredibly gamy speeds. No additional software is required!
Only click on a tie-up, download a cinema and guard it on your favorite player.

[size=4][url=http://pittsburghmom.com/members/Pokimon2010/default.aspx]Sign Up[/url] today and forget about buying or renting DVDs offline. [/size]


[url=http://movies.aoaoaxxx.ru/][img]http://s43.radikal.ru/i102/0910/9e/0ff505c137e0.jpg[/img][/url]





























[url=http://pittsburghmom.com/members/Pokimon2010/default.aspx][b]TOP 40 BEST Movies:[/b][/url]
Secret Lives of Second Wives, The
Meerkats, The
Replacements, The
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Mission: Impossible
Ghost Busters
Babel
Barbie of Swan Lake
Rocky III
Miss Conception
In the Electric Mist
Battle in Seattle
Sea of Love
Italian Job, The
Blue Thunder
Santa and Pete
Big Momma's House 2
Numb
Cinderella II: Dreams Come True
Blood: The Last Vampire
Night and the City
Art of War, The
Barbarian
Son of the Mask
Fireproof
Far Cry
Evelyn
Panic
Highlander: The Search for Vengeance
Island, The


[url=http://notradical.com/members/aminadimkin51.aspx]Exorcism of Emily Rose, The [/url]
[url=http://forums.pmy.myclassifiedsite.com/members/valerijaosiik60.aspx]Memoirs of an Invisible Man [/url]
[url=http://tamerfarag.com/members/nuzarprohorenk.aspx]National Lampoon's 'Pledge This!' Naughty Version [/url]
[url=http://nsigcommunity.com/members/ahdjacjuk10.aspx]007 Licence to Kill [/url]
[url=http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/stefanefremenk.aspx]Defying Gravity [/url]
[url=http://ivoroling.nl/members/abdulvahidgli.aspx]Jackal, The [/url]
[url=http://nsigcommunity.com/members/ahdjacjuk10.aspx]Purple Rain [/url]
[url=http://bounci.tv/members/anzhelabolshin6.aspx]No Man's Land: The Rise of Reeker [/url]
[url=http://nsigcommunity.com/members/ahdjacjuk10.aspx]Mean Machine [/url]
[url=http://navaly.org/members/klimperehodov7.aspx]Possessed [/url]

Popular posts from this blog

A Progress Report for January

Sometimes I sit around writing my own obituary in my head. It’s not that I plan on dying, or that I’m that old, but I just wonder what my legacy would be. If my family had to sum up my life to this point, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be a lot to say. Let’s highlight my first twenty-six years. I hit a game-winning shot against Nettleton—truly the type of shot you dream about as a kid shooting hoops in the driveway—to help Paragould High School make it to the state tournament in 2004 (this is the highlight of my short and mostly uneventful athletic career); I won the Citizenship Award my senior year, which my mother says is way more important than any academic or athletic award; I wrote for the Paragould Daily Press for four years, and I still have people say they miss my column (but you guys can quit lying to me already); I married a girl who is way more intelligent and athletic than I ever dreamed of being; I graduated from college, twice; and I have an adorable puppy that takes up all

The Paragould Daily Press: Is Paid Content the Beginning of the End?

Every few days I read the Paragould Daily Press , my hometown newspaper—a newspaper I worked at as a sports writer for four years—online. I’m never looking for anything in particular. It’s just part of my routine: every morning I skim national, state, and local news for a few minutes. However, when I visited the PDP today, a few things were different. First, the website had been redesigned (and not in a good way—it takes talent to clutter what little content the PDP creates). More importantly, you now have to buy a subscription to read the paper online. This isn’t about having to pay for content (I’m sure the PDP has heard plenty of negative feedback from its online readers already); I understand what the PDP is attempting to accomplish with this move. The move to paid content was inevitable (I remember sitting in a staff meeting and discussing this very matter over five years ago when I was writing for the newspaper), as it will be and has been for much larger publications. Ne

Joe the Plumber

( Caption: So Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, better known as "Joe the Plumber", can't win an election for you. But I bet he can plunge your toliet, right?) A lot of responsibility comes with marriage, such as taking care of your wife when she’s sick like mine is right now. However, to me that’s an easy one. I can make chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, and Jell-O. The challenging part of being married, for me, is the Tim-Allen home improvement gig. Growing up, my dad took care of all those things: changing the oil in the vehicles, patching holes in the wall, replacing chipped tiles, repairing damaged furniture, and unclogging toilets and sinks. To this day there isn’t a problem that my dad can’t solve. It’s his calling. A fixing-up vision I didn’t inherit. Last week, the toilet in our apartment started acting up, such as not flushing with full velocity and taking a minute to drain and refill. Eventually, it stopped working at all. Oh, if there isn’t anything more inhumane t